12 de septiembre de 2010

My testimony


My interest for interpretation began since I was a little boy, because I have seen my cousins interpreting preaches of American Pastors in the church. When I graduated from high school, I didn’t know what career to choose, and at the same time there was a mission trip in my church with "Christ for the cities", then, an American group of missionaries were coming to Peru. A lot of interpreters were needed and my English level was kind of good at that time, so I decided to go for it. The mission trip took place in the city of Iquitos in Peru, and it lasted one week. In the mission trip, they were basically going to preach God's words to the Iquitos's poorest sectors. For that, we were divided in several teams, and in my team there were 2 American missionaries.

Our main job consisted of working with a specific church and going with its members to preach the gospel of God house-to-house, and my job was to interpret what the missionaries were preaching. It was the same task every day, and it was an incredible experience for me, because it was my first experience as an empirical interpreter. After this trip I encouraged myself to study the career of translation and interpretation at Euroidiomas (that is what I am still doing). After one year and a half, there was another mission trip but this time it took place in Pisco, Peru with another group of missionaries from "Christ for the cities", and again I decided to go and help with the interpretation.

I did my work, the same I previously did in Iquitos; but this time I realized that my English had improved a lot and I also realized that I was applying all the techniques of interpretation that I had learned up in Euroidiomas so far. It was definitely a big change.
"Christ for the cities" always organizes this type of mission trips, so I will wait with great enthusiasm for the following trip, since I will be able to apply the new techniques I am going to learn from now on.

                                                                                                                                        Daniel Rodas.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario